Olaplex is a prestige and professional beauty company and one of the largest independent hair care brands in the world. The company was founded in 2014 by beauty industry veterans Dean and Darcy Christal, who commercialised a revolutionary, patented technology that protects and repairs hair from damage. The two founders commissioned two world-leading PhDs in Materials and Chemistry who had never worked on hair products before, Dr. Eric Pressly and Dr. Craig Hawker, to find a way to stop chemical treatments from damaging hair. Word of the product spread among hair stylists, and the brand quickly became a global sensation, paving the way for a completely new category of hair care called "bond-building."
Today, Olaplex is the only patented system to noticeably repair extreme damage -- turning dry, brittle hair into soft, shiny, and more resilient hair.
Ranked as one of the highest engagement hair care brands on social media platforms, Olaplex is a go-to brand for both stylists and consumers. It offers a combination of products exclusive to salons and products available through both the professional and retail channels. Olaplex products are sold in 101 countries and through professional salons, retail and e-commerce channels.
THE ORIGINAL BOND BUILDER
OLAPLEX's patented active chemistry works on a molecular level to repair damaged and broken bonds in the hair that are caused by chemical, thermal, and mechanical damage. You can use OLAPLEX to restore damaged and compromised hair, or add it to another service to provide the ultimate breakage insurance.
What are bonds?
Disulfide bonds are in all three main parts of the hair:
• Medulla (if the hair has one)
Most people think about how Keratin (proteins) make up the hair, forming polypeptide bonds (long chains) that are kept in alignment by hydrogen, salt and disulfide bonds.
The overall internal structure resembles ladders that have been twisted into a shape resembling a multi-fiber cable called microfibrils. These then combine to form macrofibrils which are contained in the cortex. These “cables” stay in alignment, resisting twisting and bending, as a result of disulfide bonds. They are held together in the cortex with a microcellular cement that also contains an abundance of disulfide bonds.
All hair contains millions of disulfide bonds which give the hair its structure, strength and stability. When all the bonds, especially the disulfide bonds, are intact and in alignment, you have healthy, beautiful, shiny, touchable hair. When disulfide bonds are broken, it results in damage.
Hair is damaged daily. Split ends, frizz, lackluster Color, thinning and dryness can all be related to broken disulfide bonds.
- Flat irons, curling irons, and blow dryers all cause damage due to the high levels of heat being used.
- Mechanical damage such as brushing, friction, tugging and pulling on wet hair affect the bonds.
- UV damage from the sun, humidity, extreme hot/cold weather conditioners, pollution, etc. all have a negative impact on the hair’s bonds.
- Chemical services can also cause damage. These services include Color, Lighteners, Perms, Relaxers, Keratin Treatments, and Japanese Straighteners/Thermal Reconditioners.
The chemicals and/or thermal tools being used react with the disulfide bonds breaking them and causing protein loss, leaving behind damaged hair. When damage occurs, it affects the disulfide bonds throughout the entire hair fibre.
How does Olaplex work?
All hair types (natural, curly, fine, straight, etc.) derive most of their integrity from healthy, properly paired, disulfide bonds. When hair is damaged via thermal, chemical, mechanical or environmental factors, these disulfide bonds are broken apart resulting in single sulfur hydrogen bonds.
What happens after a disulfide bond breaks? There are two reactions that can take place. The first reaction is that the single sulfur hydrogen component pairs with a single oxygen molecule. This makes a perfect pair with no further damage taking place.
The second reaction is where damage occurs. A single sulfur hydrogen molecule will pair with three oxygen molecules creating S03, or what is known as a sulfate group. The protonated sulfate is known as Cysteic Acid. Cysteic acid then eats the protein out of the hair.
In the case of chemical services, OLAPLEX works by maximising the strength of hair by reconnecting disulphide sulphur bonds broken down by the colouring process or heat treatments, pairing with the single sulfur hydrogen bond faster than the three oxygen molecules can.
Who is Olaplex for?
OLAPLEX is beneficial for all hair types. Each OLAPLEX product is free of sulfates, phthalates, DEA, aldehydes, formaldehyde, gluten, parabens and safe for all hair. Whether your hair is Color Treated, Texture Treated, Virgin or anything in between, it is damaged on a daily basis. OLAPLEX assists in both preventing that damage and repairing it, returning the hair to a virgin like state. OLAPLEX is compatible with all manufacturers chemical service products. Your hair is an investment, and the only accessory that you never take off. In fact, it’s the only thing short of plastic surgery that can change the way you feel about yourself. Everyone wants beautiful, healthy, manageable shiny hair and with OLAPLEX, that can become a reality!
- VIRGIN HAIR: OLAPLEX is great for virgin hair. It helps to repair existing damage while protecting it from thermal, mechanical and environmental damage. OLAPLEX strengthens and prepares the hair for future services.
- COLOR TREATED HAIR: OLAPLEX can be mixed into all Colors and Lighteners to lessen the damage caused by these services. OLAPLEX is also used to maintain and repair Color Treated hair for healthy, beautiful looking hair.
- CURLY AND NATURALLY TEXTURED HAIR: OLAPLEX rebuilds, restructures and improves moisture retention to curls that have lost their shape. OLAPLEX infuses curly hair with added moisture and condition for beautiful bouncy, resilient curls. Fragile curly hair has more lightening and chemical service options when OLAPLEX is used.
- STRAIGHT HAIR: OLAPLEX will strengthen straight hair, improving manageability, movement and shine. The condition of the hair won’t be compromised using thermal styling options such as curling irons, hot rollers, etc. when the hair is treated prior with OLAPLEX.
- TEXTURE SERVICES (PERMANENT WAVES, RELAXERS, THERMAL STRAIGHTENING/RECONDITIONING): OLAPLEX helps to maintain the integrity of the hair before, during and after all texture services. Texture services last longer, and the hair stays in better condition when OLAPLEX is used correctly. Damage-free Color and Lightening Services performed after any texture service are possible when properly using them with OLAPLEX.
- EXTENSIONS: OLAPLEX can be used on all 100% human hair extensions. Some extensions have a Keratin coating on them which can sometimes act as a barrier to the OLAPLEX Treatment. Extensions sometimes are treated with textile dyes which can lead to unpredictable results with Color or lightening. With any type of glued in or taped in extensions, we recommend keeping OLAPLEX off those areas to avoid possibly loosening them. When in doubt, always perform a Strand Test on extensions as results may vary.
THE RETAIL RANGE
REPAIRS, PROTECTS AND STRENGTHENS
Our Global bestseller! An at-home treatment that reduces breakage and visibly strengthens hair. Use weekly.
Bond Maintenance Shampoo®
STRENGTHENS, RESTORES AND REPAIRS
Healthy hair is beautiful hair! Our nourishing + reparative shampoo will leave your hair healthier with each use. Use daily/every wash.
Bond Maintenance Conditioner®
HYDRATES, REPAIRS AND STRENGTHENS
Our highly moisturising conditioner will visibly repair and leave your hair stronger than ever. Use daily/every wash.
SMOOTHS, HYDRATES AND PROTECTS
Say NO to frizz! This leave-in styling creme will eliminate frizz and leave your hair feeling hydrated for up to 72 hours. Use to style after each wash!
ADDS SHINE, STRENGTHENS AND PROTECTS
Your everyday styling go-to product! Get up to 450° heat protection, while adding shine and softness to your hair.